The fifth annual Poole Harbour Boat Show, in association with Sunseeker, will return to our shores between 7th and 9th June, from its award-winning home, the Poole Quay Boat Haven. With over 32,000 people in attendance in 2018 the Show, organised by Poole Harbour Commissioners, continues to be the biggest-ever, FREE to attend Boat Show on the south coast. The Boat Show’s ambitions and theme are to get people ‘on the water’, particularly young people.
In addition to more than an anticipated 200 exhibitors, over 100 boats will be on the water, including tall ships, celebrity style yachts and motors cruises. There will also be an impressive line-up of ‘on the water’ activities and workshops which includes:
· Taster sessions: For those who want to see which water sport suits them best, there will be FREE taster sessions on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Paddle boarding, kayaking and dinghy sailing will be provided by Rockley Watersports and there will also be cruiser sailing provided by the Yacht Clubs of Poole.
· Racing: Visitors to the show will be able to see dinghy and yacht racing over the weekend. The 2019 Poole Bay 100 Power Boat Racing will make Poole Harbour its base over the weekend of the Boat Show. Power Boats will arrive on Friday 7th and racing will take place on Saturday 8th June. Visitors to the Boat Show will be able to view the boats in between races. http://www.poolebay100.co.uk/
· Demonstrations: There will be a number of exciting demonstrations across the weekend, including the RNLI and Poole Harbour Commissioners putting on fascinating displays which show what their work involves on a day to day basis. The Newfoundland dogs will impress visitors with a spectacular water rescue performed by a 14 stone, lifesaving Newfoundland dog.
· Firework Display: The stunning and ever- impressive Friday and Saturday evening firework displays are always popular events. This year’s fireworks are sponsored by Sibbett Gregory and Brittany Ferries, respectively. Start time is 21:45 on both evenings.
· Freefall Parachute Display Team: The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) freefall parachute display team, will be landing directly in the harbour. Sponsored by WQI Marine Ltd. Display time: 4pm on Saturday 8th June.
· Official opening: Friday 7th June – Sailor and Vendee Globe competitor, Pip Hare will be opening the Show.
· Live Music Stage: There will be free family entertainment, with a live music stage creating a central feature, with a packed agenda of bands, choirs and entertainment. There will also be a family picnic area with a sandpit for children to enjoy and perhaps even the odd piece of treasure to find!
Jim Stewart, chief executive of Poole Harbour Commissioners said, “This year’s event has gained significant momentum and we are particularly pleased at the attention and support that the Boat Show is receiving, now in its 5th year. We are incredibly proud at how its reputation has grown within the marine industry, local and regional business communities and the enthusiasm being shown by the public to attend and get involved. 2019 promises lots of expansion and lots of focus on our event objectives of getting people ‘on the water’. Poole has such a very rich maritime history and the PHBS is a wonderful way to celebrate all that it has to offer.”
Jim advised, “At the Poole Harbour Boat Show we’ve got something for everyone. We would urge you to come down to Poole Quay and enjoy this fantastic FREE event! Officially opening the Boat Show on Friday 7th will be successful sailor and marine journalist Pip Hare. Pip will be competing in the world’s toughest yacht race, The Vendee Globe, and in November 2020 will be lining up with 30 international skippers to single- handedly race a 60ft boat around the world, non-stop. She has ambitious plans to break records and certainly has the determination and grit to do so! www.piphareoceanracing.comhttp://www.piphareoceanracing.com/ “
The show will open daily from 10am – 6pm, Friday 7th – Sunday 9th June. For further details visit: pooleharbourboatshow.co.uk